small changes can lead to big differences.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

special day

today, education wise, was stressful. So much to do, so little time to do it, and so little desire! However, my first teacher let us out an hour early and when I checked my phone, I had a message from a friend I haven't heard from in months!

I met her on the Amtrak back in April as we were both going to California from Chicago. It was a 2 day trip, so needless to say we had plenty of time to get to know each other. It was strange how we didn't have much in common, but at the same time we totally did. We spoke to each other on the same level of matureness, both understood completely where each other was coming from, and had meaningful conversations the entire 2 days we were together. When we parted, I was really sad, but at the same time I just knew in my heart it wasn't the end! We exchanged phone numbers & went on our way.

I texted her a few times over the past few months - I knew she was going through some transition periods & I just had a feeling that I shouldn't be concerned over the lack of communication. I sent her a postcard, but never heard anything.. until today!

She was on her way from Texas to North Carolina & had a layover in Chicago for a few hours. I just so happened to get out of class early & was already on my way out of school when I got her message, so it was easy for me to just hop on the blue line & go over to the Clinton stop. It was so unexpected but so awesome! It was nice to feel that female connection that I don't think I've ever felt. And it was such a nice feeling to feel, well, missed! Everyone I am friends with lives within an hour from me, so it was a rare feeling for me to see someone genuinely miss me. She is moving to NC, which is awesome because it's closer than California, & she's trying to stay in one place for awhile. We only had an hour to catch up & I was already nervous because I couldn't afford to be late to class, but it was a very enjoyable time and I am so happy and also kind of shocked that it happened! She showed me that she kept my postcard with her during her entire 2.5 month cycling trip down the West Coast. It was so special to her that she kept it with her - such an amazing feeling! I ended up not caring about being 15 minutes late for class. I value friendships and people and human interaction a lot more than I value a grade. After all, that's what life is about to me.

Lesson you should learn: take the amtrak! It's amazing. (and a lot safer/eco friendly!)

xo

Marjie

No comments:

Post a Comment