small changes can lead to big differences.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

a deadly sin.

 


This morning, even though I biked to school instead of taking the el (can you believe it takes the SAME amount of time!?) I was early to class. As I sat down to get my books out to start studying, I was joined by another classmate of mine. We started talking about things, like Chicago, California, school, and then work. I don't know how we got on the topic, but I had mentioned that money alone doesn't motivate me and how I don't really need nice things. She responded with "Oh not me, I'm so greedy".

I don't know why, but that comment struck me as so unappealing. I never thought I'd hear someone boast on how greedy they were, or talk about it like it was a good thing. Yet she talked about how she lives in a nice place and wants to be famous and likes nice things and just wants a lot of money. None of this is a bad thing, it just made me realize I'm in a totally different world. (Which, I gotta say, I'm totally okay with.)

Money is complicated. I have always much preferred trading (although I will be honest, I am not a good candidate to trade on Etsy. Since I don't personally NEED things and try not to get things that I don't really want, I almost never trade - but i AM open to it so PLEASE ask!) or bartering. I think you get more out of life that way. But, that's just me and I am not in any way saying that this way is better than $$. It is just who I am!

A good thing that happened today: for some reason, several students asked me how old I was. I said 23. They were all shocked and said I looked younger. Win!


until next time,
marjie

No comments:

Post a Comment